We are to give to the one in need, the one who is weak, the one who is oppressed not because they beg us to do so... and not because they promise to praise us or flood us with appreciation... and not because we expect immediate results.
But we give because we love!
My father was a stickler when I was a kid... he always said you do something for someone there should be no strings attached! You do it to do it... if you are looking for a thank you don't do it then! It wasn't until I was older that I realized how important his words were.
What happened to our gift once given is between the receiver and God. It was ours to give, and our expectations and conditions stop there.
Those words also shaped who I am...I am a woman that didn't think twice to offer for people to live in our house for over a year, I am the woman who has traveled to other countries on mission trips because God called me to do so, I am the woman who will send out prayer request on facebook and emails... I am a woman who hasn't seen myself as being generous all those times, but I have seen myself as just simply responding to God's calling. It hasn't always been natural for me to be "generous" and to be honest I can be easily generous to others, but I find myself not very generous with my time and patience with my own family.
I can see the same generosity in my children - praise God! They don't think twice about helping others, they don't have to be told to help someone - they just instinctively know to do it, they don't think twice about serving or donating their money to help others. I am proud of the grace, love, patience and kindness my kids show to others, but they too lack the same generosity at home with each other.
We give because God gave. We give as God gave. And we give as generously as God gave. And that requires great maturity and obedience on our part. (MacDonald, G.)
So when you take the time to evaluate how generous you are... make sure you look close to home too. It is easy to miss being generous with the ones you love. I know God is calling us to stop and look at generosity within our family!
I pray that God will put on your heart a new view of what generosity means in your life. Sometimes we get hung up that the word generosity means giving of $$$, but my prayer too is that you can push pass that view and see Jesus' example of generosity.
Being Bold in my Faith!
Jeni
No comments:
Post a Comment