Saturday, January 14, 2012

No strings attached...

Quick question... when you give something (time, money, etc.) do you judge the "success" of your giving based on how the receiver used it?

Example if you gave money to a man on the corner but later on you saw him with a bottle of booze in his hand will you think twice the next time you give money to a homeless person? 

Another example... if you spent your Saturday afternoon volunteering to help paint someones front porch because they couldn't do it themselves, but then the person didn't even say thank you would hesitate the next time someone asked you to volunteer?

I pray not!!
Sometimes our perspective is not right when we are giving of our time, our money or our possessions. That is because we tend to give with expectations, or as my dad would call it strings attached.

When you give with strings attached or you have a certain expectation you will be missing the big picture... you will be missing God working in your life. Maybe the money you gave to the homeless person was suppose to teach you a lesson of obedience or sacrifice, or maybe a neighbor saw your generosity of you painting the porch and that changed her heart of giving. 

We can't truly see God's plan in the work we do unless we first trust and serve Him unconditionally, which means having no expectations. 

I tell my kids I feel like I am watching a movie sometimes when I serve because I get a front seat to watch how God is impacting the lives of the people I am helping! 

My prayer is for each of you can join me in the front row of the movies and see God at work, because it is amazing to see Him changing lives, including mine!

Serving Him Faithfully,
J





No comments:

Post a Comment