As I interviewed the kids and Rob about their experiences this week I couldn't help but notice that their stories were a bit similar to his... the wish for all refugees to be treated equally and for everyone to give God the praise in everything we do and have.
Here is through Rob's eyes...
What I was surprised about was who and what a refugee was - not by definition, I know a refugee is someone that has had to leave their home because of war, religious reasons or because of economic reasons. I guess I mean to say is that this week I learned what it truly means to be a refugee here in Europe. I have always heard Jeni talk about the refugees and I just imagined they were like what we would call illegal aliens in America, but they are not. In America, people who have left their country are provided so much more then what they are provided here. In America, the refugees are given government support, a place to live (public housing), a chance to work, the opportunity to raise their family... they are provided opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I know they still struggle and don't have it easy, but they have opportunities... where in Austria I don't see that.
In Austria, yes the government provides a place for them to stay, food to eat, healthcare, and 40 Euros a month... in other words the government provides the refugees physical support. But what I don't see is a sense that the refugees feel a sense of self worth. Over a year ago I lost my job and I know when I was not able to provide for my family I lost my sense of self worth. For a period of time I was lost in myself like I see a lot of the refugees are. Scared, depressed, angry... emotions that are easy to fall into, but very hard to dig yourself out of unless you have someone to show you the way back out.
But that is where I see the Oasis step in... they are providing the refugees emotional and spiritual support. Through the programs here they are showing the refugees they are loved and cared about. From clothing room to a cup of tea... the role we play here is to remind the refugees they are someone and to not forget that. Plus the Oasis is teaching them something else - they are teaching them that God is always with them... so when they are in their camp, with nothing to do, feeling sad or depressed because of where they are... they can turn to God for hope.
I also noticed something else this week, I noticed a different perspective on being thankful... not being thankful for things, but to be thankful to God for what He has provided.
I couldn't believe how jammed pack the individual rooms were on Thursday night... various languages of the Jesus film were being played. Then it hit me, the people watching the film were so thankful to be able to watch a movie in their own language! With all the technology we have at our hands, I never even considered how much of an impact it would be to play a movie for them in their own language. I have become so numb to the gifts God has provided me I forget to give thanks to Him! I think we all have done that... we become numb to all that we have that we miss God working in our lives everyday.
A simple child's puzzles, a game of checkers or chess, cup of tea or coffee - an opportunity to engage with each other... this means the world to the refugee and it should mean the world to us too, but how often do we miss the opportunity to be with others that God has put in our lives.
I pray that the lessons I have learned these 2 weeks will not be lost on me and that my eyes are open wider now, my mind is more aware of my surroundings and my heart is softer to so I don't miss the opportunities God has provided for me.
Dear Rob,
ReplyDeleteI smiled as I read your words. Even while Jeni and I were still at the Oasis, she talked about her dream to return as a family. It is exciting to see God fulfilling that dream. I know that those who serve there and those who come through the doors have been blessed by your response to God's call.
God has allowed some hard stuff in your life, but I hear in your words that He has used that experience as you ministered to those at the Oasis. Looking forward to hearing more when you get home.
Maureen